WoodworkersZone.com

Go Back   WoodworkersZone - Woodworking Forums > The Zone > Power Tools & Shop Setup

Power Tools & Shop Setup Everything about shops and power tools, from what brand to buy, and where to put it.

Old Posted 01-20-2010, 01:42 PM
CNC NCOIC

Default HF 17" Bandsaw

I figured I had better get the info. over here on the "real" forum about my recent acquisition of the HF 17" BS. (I am sure some of you have read the information below elsewhere).

On a whim I went and bought a used HF 17" off of CL here is the story:

Browsing CL I found a HF 17" BS . This saw has been discussed here in the past and the consensus speculation has been that it is very similar if not identical to the Griz G0513 . I haven't ever seen anybody state for sure it is the same saw because the HF is catalog order only and so, is the Griz. In other words to do a direct comparison someone has to either own both or find access to both other than a retail store display. It has a list of $800 but calling HF has produced a price of $480+$86.99 shipping rate plus the actual freight at the time of delivery. The Griz is around $950 shipped and does include a better warranty and their outstanding customer service.

Well, I went and bought it on the cheap from the CL ad and have compared it directly with my G0513. The HF saw I bought is 7 years old and my Griz is 2 years old.

Other than paint, stickers, poly tires vs. rubber on the Griz, and the wiring (HF comes ready for 120V where the Griz is wired for 240V both saws can be wired 120V or 240V) they are essentially the same. The blade speeds specs are different on the product page and you'll notice in the pic that the HF does have a smaller motor sheeve. Other than that it is virtually identical in every way right down to the casting numbers on various parts. In other words, it is coming from the same place.

I have also taken various measurements and the HF tolerances appear just as tight as the Griz and in fact they are better in a few cases.

The saw performs very much the same as the Griz. If I was blind pushing wood through them I know I couldn't tell the difference from one saw to the other and the wood certainly won't either. I pushed it pretty hard, resawing some 8-1/2' red oak and it never hesitated just plowed through it.

You'll notice that in the pictures the fences are different but that is because the Griz has been upgraded. It originally came with the same fence that is on the HF. The Fry Guy can provide the details about these "upgrades" if summoned.

Last edited by EZ WOOD; 01-22-2010 at 12:05 AM. Reason: error in price
Old Posted 01-20-2010, 01:56 PM in reply to EZ WOOD's post "HF 17" Bandsaw"
ex-HMFIC

I can attest to the stock fence on the HF being identical in form to the stock Griz fence.

Now are you saying that your Griz came with rubber tires? Mine, which is a few years older than yours, came with poly tires.

I don't care who's name is on it, it's a damned fine saw for the money...even the Griz price is a bargain.
Old Posted 01-20-2010, 02:24 PM in reply to Boxman's post starting "I can attest to the stock fence on the..."
GregoryOfHowTheHeckDidIGetThisTitleForest

EZ,
thanks for the knowledge! I've been on the fence about buying a larger bandsaw for a while now, just letting the tool fund grow (although Disney plans are stealing from it currently) and this info may get me there faster.

With a Grizz store just a couple hours south of me, I was planning a trip there this summer. I'll have to look at this saw while there.

While I am a big fan of Grizz customer service, I think a $320 savings may talk a little louder, especially knowing I can use Grizz parts and upgrades.

I buy and sell vintage handtools. www.RUSTHUNTER.com
Old Posted 01-20-2010, 02:31 PM in reply to Boxman's post starting "I can attest to the stock fence on the..."
CNC NCOIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxman View Post
I can attest to the stock fence on the HF being identical in form to the stock Griz fence.

Now are you saying that your Griz came with rubber tires? Mine, which is a few years older than yours, came with poly tires.

I don't care who's name is on it, it's a damned fine saw for the money...even the Griz price is a bargain.

Yep, the newer Griz saws come with rubber tires.
Old Posted 01-20-2010, 03:01 PM in reply to EZ WOOD's post starting "Yep, the newer Griz saws come with..."
certified drain mamaged : USAF '65 - '69

Another for the HF gems list?
Old Posted 01-20-2010, 03:20 PM in reply to Gansett's post starting "Another for the HF gems list?"
CNC NCOIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest T View Post
Another for the HF gems list?

I think it probably is but I want to give it a little more time to ensure it is up to par. Let's not pretend that either of these are the best BS made but they do provide a large BS for a very reasonable price. In addition, they do perform much better and have a larger capacity than most 14" bandsaws. Honestly, in the time I have had the G0513 I never felt I needed anything more and I don't think I'll ever need to upgrade in my hobby shop. I can't say that I felt the same about my 14" Delta I owned prior to the Griz.

Anyhow, the G0513 series of saws get pretty decent reviews and if you are in the market than I think the HF is worth considering.
Old Posted 01-20-2010, 05:04 PM in reply to EZ WOOD's post starting "I think it probably is but I want to..."
GregoryOfHowTheHeckDidIGetThisTitleForest

As little as I would use a large bandsaw, it really seems to be a decent machine for my uses; occasional cutting up of a burl (I have a large burl needing attention right now, but don't have the capacity on my bench BS), some larger segmenting, rare large box making, rare resawing.

I buy and sell vintage handtools. www.RUSTHUNTER.com
Old Posted 01-21-2010, 02:49 PM in reply to EZ WOOD's post starting "I think it probably is but I want to..."
SuperMod

I know alot of folks here aren't huge Iturra fans, but he speaks very highly of the Grizzly bandsaws. If I wasn't in the middle of a different acquisition I'd be looking at one right now as I don't think I'll ever get the old Walker Turner back together and operational. There are some machines Grizzly just shouldn't produce, Bandsaws are one of thier better items and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one from them (based on many many comments and my neighbor has one).

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ WOOD View Post
I think it probably is but I want to give it a little more time to ensure it is up to par. Let's not pretend that either of these are the best BS made but they do provide a large BS for a very reasonable price. In addition, they do perform much better and have a larger capacity than most 14" bandsaws. Honestly, in the time I have had the G0513 I never felt I needed anything more and I don't think I'll ever need to upgrade in my hobby shop. I can't say that I felt the same about my 14" Delta I owned prior to the Griz.

Anyhow, the G0513 series of saws get pretty decent reviews and if you are in the market than I think the HF is worth considering.