WoodworkersZone.com

Go Back   WoodworkersZone - Woodworking Forums > The Zone > Woodworking

Woodworking To discuss all general woodworking topics.

Old Posted 01-09-2009, 01:49 AM

Red face Drawers - Flush Front

Gents - I'm in a picle. Ok, I was moving along with a set of Mission tables. A coffee table and three end tables. The three end tables are planned with flush front drawers where the wood grain matches the drawer/frame.

I was thinking all is good! All is good. Everything is going well and I purchased some nice solid drawer slides, built everything tight. Then when mounting it up, I found there is no room for the side mount drawer slides to slide through on flush mount drawer frames.

So, the drawer frames are built to fit tightly around the drawer front.

The drawers are already built, so I need to find another solution for the drawers that don't include slide by slides. What do do next? Does this ring a bell? Can you provide some guideance?

Throw some good solutions my way! Thanks, Justin
Old Posted 01-09-2009, 02:18 AM in reply to DCG's post "Drawers - Flush Front"

So if you can picture this. I have some nice dovetail drawers that have drawer fronts mounted flush to the sides of the drawer box. the drawer fronts are flush to the front of the end table opening. So, they need hidden slides of some sort so that the drawers slide out without the drawer slides.... Anything come to mind now???
Old Posted 01-09-2009, 02:24 AM in reply to DCG's post starting "So if you can picture this. I have..."
Honored Member - Founders Club

First of all, how big are the drawers? It's possible you might not need slides, just a piston fit with the drawers. Next, is there enough room under the drawer bottom to mount slides there?
Old Posted 01-09-2009, 02:24 AM in reply to DCG's post starting "So if you can picture this. I have..."

If I'm understanding you correctly, side mount mechanical slides of any type won't fit. Correct?

Your only options are "undermounts" if you have a way structurally and the room, or better yet, route grooves in the drawer sides from back to front, (stopping before you get to the drawer front) and mount wooden side hung runners inside the tables sides.

Chisel And Bit
Custom Crafted Furniture
www.chiselandbit.com

Last edited by John Fry; 01-09-2009 at 02:36 AM.
Old Posted 01-09-2009, 02:31 AM in reply to John Fry's post starting "If I'm understanding you correctly,..."

Here are a couple of pix to better explain side hung drawer runners.

This drawer picture shows the routed groove in the side.

This pic shows the runner already installed in the cabinet side prior to construction. You will notice I made this one with vertically elongated holes for final drawer adjustment after construction, and two counter sunk screw holes that will be drilled, set, and installed to lock the runner in position after the adjustments are made.

The grooves can be easily routed after the drawer construction, your individual tables will dictate how easy it is to install the wooden runners.

Edit to add, Harry's idea of wooden frame members underneath for the drawer to slide on is also an option, depending on your tables construction, you might need kickers above to prevent excessive drawer front drop.

Chisel And Bit
Custom Crafted Furniture
www.chiselandbit.com

Last edited by John Fry; 01-09-2009 at 02:35 AM.
Old Posted 01-09-2009, 02:39 AM in reply to Harry's post starting "First of all, how big are the drawers? ..."

Harry - Yes, you are correct. There is about a 1/2 inch under the drawer to fit a slide of some sort. I can't slide through the face frame though. there is not room to fit a slide of any sort around any of the drawer. I was thinking short sightedly that there would be the abilty to use a slide on each side. I was wrong...as I noticed after I started mounting the slides and the drawers. Uhhhg...
Old Posted 01-09-2009, 02:43 AM in reply to John Fry's post starting "Here are a couple of pix to better..."

John - I'm thinking you're first picture might be my only hope??? I have no room now that I think about it for drawer slides to be mounted. Early on I was thinking these great ball bearing slides would be great, but they don't work with flush mount drawers/frames. Do you have some other close up's how to build this type of drawer/slide mechanism? My drawer sides are about 1/4" thickness. They are also already built. I am trying to think of way's to cut the groove for for the slide like you show. thoughts?
Old Posted 01-09-2009, 02:45 AM in reply to DCG's post starting "Harry - Yes, you are correct. There is..."
Honored Veteran - USN 1967-1971

Would something like this work?

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...drawer%20slide

Maybe you could make your own to fit??
Old Posted 01-09-2009, 02:53 AM in reply to Lorax's post starting "Would something like this work? ..."

A good option. As good as I've thought of tonight. this may be it. I wan to be sure it keeps the squareness of the front/frame. Justin
Old Posted 01-09-2009, 03:00 AM in reply to DCG's post starting "A good option. As good as I've thought..."
Woodworking Mentor

how about just using wooden guides under the drawers and piston fitting the sides?

Guides and slides are wonderful for controlling a drawer if you construct properly, but if you look at a drawer constructed 30 yrs ago in better furniture they had little more than a few well waxed side runners and a flip stop to keep the drawer from pulling all the way out of the opening.

Joe