I had a especially nice small piece of claro walnut crotch that was too nice to toss and I'd been saving it for several years for that "special" project. This week I used it.
Started by jointing and then ripping into a 3/4 x3/4 stick. Mounted on lathe using the live center and turned it round and also turned the required tenon. I turned my tenon an extra 3/4" long so that I could cut off 3/4" if it got damaged.
I then removed the piece, mounted the jacobs chuck on the tail end and the jaw chuck on the head end and drilled the 3/16 diameter hole. (also drilled this and extra 3/4" because of the extra tenon length.
I then removed the jacobs and the jaw chuck and did something different. I lossened the center point of my live drive center and reversed it. It happens to be 3/16" so it fit perfect in the hole I had drilled. (Picture #1) I put a drop of CA glue on the point and mounted the turning. (Picture 2) This method worked very well as it held the turning but would of let loose if there was a catch. I was able to turn and finish the entire handle except for the very point using this method.
I used the jacob's chuck on the headstock for finishing the point.
The finish included sanding to 600 grit.
Wet sanding with Tung oil with 600 grit.
A rub of Hut's brown bar to fill any pores.
An application of Hut's Pen Polish and buffed out.
All above done on the lathe.
Off the lathe I mounted the ferrule and disc sanded the tenon to length.
I'm really pleased with the quality of the knife components, the class for motivating me to get involved, and the end result.